Some Selected Readings I’ve Come Across Recently:
- Spears, Sorcery, and Double Consciousness (Part 2) (Part 3) - a series about African-inspired fantasy and the Western vs Non-Western writer.
- Sexy Loki, Queer Tricksters, and the Problem with LGBT Villains - an opinion piece on how lgbt+ villains are written and used in fiction.
- Postcolonial Fantasy and African Against the Word “Tribe” - a discussion on the use of the word “tribe” in fiction, especially fantasy.
- The “Other” Histories of Fantasy - about (the lack of) non-European settings in fantasy and drawing from history.
- Fantasy’s “Othering” Fetish - about the portrayal of POC in fantasy, particularly how they are “othered”.
- Green-Eyed Asian - about giving POC traits that are more common in white people in an attempt to “beatify” or “exotify” them.
- Respective Portrayals of Asians in the Media and How to Balance Them - a primer on stereotypes and portrayals of Asians and Asian-Americans in American media.
- No Queens in Afrika: Women Rulers in Sword & Soul and Other African-Inspired Fantasy - about the use of the word “queen” in relation to non Western European (mostly African) female rulers.
- Tropes of Women of Color in Sci-FI - an eight-part series looking at five tropes that surround women of color in sci-fi.
- Why Sci-Fi Keeps Imagining the Subjugation of White People - an article about the popular topic of colonialism and anti-colonialism in sci-fi.
- On Black Women, Teen TV, and Fantasy Space - a short article about the desirability of black women in fiction and its relationship with women being validated “through heteronormative romantic success”.
- On the Erasure of People of Color from Dystopian Fiction - about the absence of POC in speculative fiction, particularly futuristic settings.
- Mary Anne Mohanraj Gets You Up to Speed Part I (Part II) - a two-part essay about race and racism in fiction and about writing a race other than your own.
- You’re Hurting My Head Again SF/F - a rant on erasing an entire race for the sake of an alternate history.
- Diversity and Disability - about the lack of representation for disabled people in YA fiction and the two tropes that often surround disability in fiction.
- No, Really, Stop Raping Your Women! - disputing arguments that favor rape and sexual assault against women in fantasy.
- Monstrous Females and Female Monsters - on the difference between the portrayal of male monsters and female monsters, and on what makes a female character a monster.
- How White Writers Should Address Racism - a short post on how characters address racial and ethnic prejudice in fiction.
- Dystropia: Why the Sassy Gay Friend Isn’t Progressive - an article on writing “sassy gay friends” and how it can turn bad quickly.
get to know you meme: [10/10] favorite movies » the parent trap
"You wanna know the real difference between us? Let me see… I know how to fence and you don’t. Or I have class and you don’t. Take your pick."